Sales & Lettings

Billesdon

General

Billesdon offers the advantages of a lovely quintessentially English village, complete with village green with stone ‘crosses’.  There is a stock of beautiful old houses, some constructed from ironstone and some still thatched, yet Billesdon remains within access of three small towns (two with public schools of some repute) and the city of Leicester.  In addition there are some other appealing smaller villages within easy reach of Billesdon, themselves set amongst Leicestershire’s very beautiful countryside.  For basic everyday needs, Billesdon supports a shop, Post Office, doctors’ surgery, petrol station/garage as well as other amenities listed under ‘Facilities’.

billesdon_3
billesdon_2
billesdon_4
billesdon_1

History

The recorded 25 soles living in Billesdon in 1086 confirms the village’s ancient roots.  The nearby village of Skeffington can trace its name back to the Skeffington family who are known to have owned land in Billesdon from the 13th to the 17th centuries. The open area around the village green was once the site of a market in the early 17th century.  Some of the houses in the village also date back to this time.  Although long since gone, the kennels and stables of the famous Quorn Hunt were built in Billesdon in 1838, with the possibility that some of the remaining red-brick cottages housed grooms and kennel hands.  In more recent times, accommodation which had been used by the land army in the second world war was, by 1959, being used as an annexe to Leicester’s Glenfrith Hospital.

Schools

Billesdon Parochial Primary School takes children at Key Stage 1 and 2.

Facilites

The Grade 2 Listed parish church of St John the Baptist dates from the 12th Century and is situated in a conservation area.  There is also a Baptist Chapel on Brook Lane, which was established 200 years ago. Billesdon has two public houses within the village: The Queens Head and The New Greyhound Inn. Basic daily needs are catered for with a general shop, Post Office, doctors’ surgery and petrol station/garage and hairdressers.  Billesdon is visited weekly by a mobile fishmonger and twice weekly by a mobile fish and chip shop.  There is also a fire station in the village. Billesdon also boasts a leisure facility, The Coplow Centre, which houses a multi-purpose sports area and concert hall facilitating a variety of entertainments, drama productions, art exhibitions etc. In addition, there are a number of community groups and clubs catering for interests in such things as wildlife, music making, allotments, books, bridge, history, guns and golf and Women’s Institute.

Sport

As well as the community groups, there are a number of sporting groups in the village, such as bowls, tennis, cricket, a field association and football.

The Coplow Centre is Billesdons own leisure centre including multi sports facilities and a stage

Billesdon Cricket Club

 

Local Authorities

Billesdon Parish Council

Harborough District Council

Leicestershire County Council

Value My Property